Saturday, August 18, 2012

Patio Table Update

Do you remember this table? I blogged about it here


We took advantage of the lovely weather and finished it this past week. After building it over Memorial Day weekend, we had to let the wood dry completely for 30ish days before sealing. Then with the extreme heat, it ended up being a bit longer than that, but I'm happy to report it's finally complete!


I went with a nautical blue, Wedgewood, in a semi-transparent stain by Behr. Ryan and I applied it all by hand with Purdy brushes. I never knew the importance of good, quality brushes until recently. I noticed as I read several of my favorite diy blogs that the designers almost always used Purdy brushes so I thought I'd pick one up to see if they're worth the hype. I quickly understood. 

Do you ever notice as you're painting that you inevitably have a stray bristle that paints completely outside the lines? The bristles seem to be more cohesive on the Purdy brushes I've used - I now have two. Also, though minor, they come with a nice little case that keeps the bristles in good condition while in storage. And, probably the most important feature is that it seems to hold more paint than your average brush so you don't have to reload as often. But that's just my two cents!


As for the stain, it was a lot thinner than I expected. It was a watery consistency so the first coat had us both a little worried about how well it would cover. The wood looked splotchy and uneven, but thankfully the second coat evened it all out! We just had to slow down a bit and really work the stain into the wood to ensure good coverage.


 I am happy with how it turned out. I love that you can still see the grain of the wood and can't wait to see how it weathers.


1 comment:

  1. What a beautiful table. We just had our steel patio installed last month. We are looking forward to picking out furniture. However, I really like this table, it looks sturdier than anything else I have looked at. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Your comment may not appear immediately.