Saturday, August 25, 2012

Canning Peaches

In my canning mode, I added peaches to my repertoire, which were surprisingly easy. Whenever I think of peaches I think of the Presidents of the USA song...

Peaches come from a can they were put there by a man 
In a factory downtown 
If I had my little way I'd eat peaches everyday 
Sun soakin' bulges in the shade 
Movin' to the country I'm gonna eat a lot of peaches

Anyone?




Start a pot of boiling water and fill a bowl (or in my case a sink) with ice and water. Blanch the peaches for 45-60 seconds in the boiling water and quickly transfer to ice water. Once cool, remove from water and peel the skins, halve and pit the peaches.

Heat your syrup; I used a 2:1 ratio which was a lighter syrup than some. It calls for 2 cups sugar per 1 quart water. Simply heat water and sugar until sugar dissolves.

Begin packing peaches into pre-sterilized jars and pour syrup over the fruit, leaving 1/2-inch head space. Run a knife around the edge of the jar to release any trapped air in the jars. Cover with fresh, unused lids and seal.

Place in water bath and process pints for 25 minutes and quarts for 30 minutes. Remove and let cool overnight.



I love me some home-canned peaches. They taste so much better than store-bought canned peaches. I hope you give it a shot!



2 comments:

  1. I ended up using all my peaches in baked goods yesterday, but this sounds awesome. Next year I'm going to beg you for canning lessons!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I still have a lot to learn, but I'm sure Ryan would love a replacement!

      Delete

Note: Your comment may not appear immediately.